Monday, February 14, 2011

the joy of love day 7: Generations

For this assignment, we were supposed to photograph all the generations of our extended family. Great grandparents, grandparents, parents and kids. 

My family, meaning the four of us, live far from our extended families. We are military and have moved all around this country. My in Laws live driving distance now, so we get to see them a couple of times a year, which is more than ever before.  

However, I am really far away from my home. I am from Costa Rica; a "Tica" if you know that term. My mom, siblings and maternal family live in San Jose, CR where I have a great grandmother that is turning 80 this year. My maternal family is huge since my mom has 5 siblings, and they all have children, making 16 cousins to the day.  I am the first born grandchild, the oldest cousin; the only one that has children. My family is wonderful, fun, loud and busy and in everyone's' business all the time. I miss that and all that comes with it. 

It is lonely to raise a family without the support of an extended one...I feel sad for my children that they don't get the experience of true fellowship and family love that I grew up with. My mom is here for a visit. She is staying for 10 days and she does this quick visits as often as she can. I love when she is here. 

Yesterday we had another gorgeous warm day in AL. We took the kiddos for a hike and play to Monte Sano mountain, and I took some pictures to share with you and got caught up with assignment #7 of the "joy of Love". 

4 comments:

  1. Bravo, Maria! You make me want to grab the camera and the kids and head to Grandma's house <3 So many priceless photos in here. Hola Roxana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pics...and great blog. I can't imagine being so far from my family...I feel for you. I bet you appreciate them more because of the distance. Great job...See you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MarĂ­a me encantan las fotos!!! Jose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family is all we have and distance will never change that. Missing you...
    Arturo

    ReplyDelete